Friday, July 16, 2010

Happiness Is.

Wednesday June 30

Unbelievably big news today: I found a packet of shampoo. There I was, carrying out what I thought would be the mundane task of watering each plant around the house for exactly one minute (...¡y no mรกs!, I had been warned), when something wonderfully, colorfully plastic caught my eye across the patio. As luck would have it at that very moment a swarm of perniciously aggravating biting ants found their way to my ankles, seeking painful revenge for the village I had just flooded; the colorful treasure would have to wait.

Ankles pleasantly on fire, I re-engaged in a more vigilant watering routine which serendipitously led me straight across the patio, where, like a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, I found my treasure. There, on top of the doghouse, a small plastic package waited for me. Nothing short of resplendent in its beauty, I dare say that despite its dusty coating, this marvelous package shone with catchpenny strawberry-graphic brilliance. I cautiously...hesitantly... fearfully, asked Teodoro to whom this incredible treasure belonged and he answered...{gasp}...that it was mine. Angels sung from the heavens as the clouds parted and rays of glorious, golden light found their way to my hands. I watched in awe as the packet floated into the air and hovered just above my outstretched arms, slowly turning, shimmering, glistening in the radiant streams of sunlight. Butterflies, hummingbirds, and pearly white unicorns fluttered and chirped, danced and tittered in a prodigious peal of utter jungle magnificence; rainbows more incredible than this one burst from the mountainous horizon and arched clear across the sky to land at my feet, where Teodoro and I joined hands with a leprechaun and together the three of us joyfully danced to the angels' songs for hours and hours and hours. At least that's how I remember it.

After the celebration subsided I had to wait six hours before I could actually use this gift from the heavens, but it was worth every minute. Yes, the day now behind me, I sit writing by candlelight with the message that I have just washed my hair for real for the first time in nine days, and it was absolutely marvelous. I didn't even care that the water was freezing cold, nor did I care that I had to fumble around in semi-darkness in my tiny, windowless enclosure, my foot held firmly against the door to keep Bilde and his sister from barging in. I didn't even care that I had to share my tiny enclosure with a terrified tree frog who literally flung himself from wall to wall in search of an escape as I ducked and swayed in the near dark to avoid being hit. I just kept rejoicing in the suds that foamed on my head. Three times I rinsed and repeated; my hair squeaked when I finally decided enough was enough. Strawberry Biosilk con 50mL acondicionante gratis, you just made my life.   

3 comments:

  1. This is one of the best things I've read in a long time. Oh Catherine, you're fantastic and I miss you. -Jeff Hake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Catherine! You're a fabulous writer and we're all really enjoying reading your blog :) BTW, in case you don't remember me, I'm Judy's niece. Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I'm new to blogging and just noticed the comment function...apologies for not responding more promptly! Yes Jessie of course I remember you! I'm glad you're enjoying it! And Jeff, you're way more fantastic and I can't wait to see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete